1. These Regulations apply only to players moving between clubs under the jurisdiction of the Football Association of Wales (“FAW”) save that, subject to the proviso below, these Regulations will not apply to a player who moves between clubs under the jurisdiction of the FAW participating in leagues under the jurisdiction of The Football Association (“The FA”). For the avoidance of doubt movements between these clubs will be subject to the relevant compensation Rules for the league in which they participate PROVIDED THAT where a player moves between clubs under the jurisdiction of the FAW participating in leagues under the jurisdiction of The FA and the move is the player’s first registration as a professional, paragraph 3 of these Regulations will apply in respect of payment of training compensation by the signing club to each of the player’s former clubs under the jurisdiction of the FAW involved in his or her training.
2. Save as set out in paragraph 1 above, clubs under the jurisdiction of the FAW that have trained a player between the ages of 12 and 21 shall be entitled to training compensation:-
2.1. when that player signs his or her first professional contract for another club under the jurisdiction of the FAW; and
2.2. each time a professional with a club under the jurisdiction of the FAW is transferred to another club under the jurisdiction of the FAW until the end of the season of the player’s 23rd birthday.
3. The first time a player registers as a professional, the training compensation will be payable by the club signing the player as a professional to each of the player’s former clubs involved in his or her training. Such payment shall be the sole entitlement of such clubs to training compensation under these Regulations.
4. Where before the end of the season of the player’s 23rd birthday, the player subsequently transfers from one professional club to another, any applicable training compensation will be payable by the club signing the player but only to the player’s immediate former (transferring) club.
5. In the case of a subsequent transfer under paragraph 4 above, the former (transferring) club shall not be entitled to training compensation under these Regulations if:-
5.1. the former club and player have agreed a mutual termination of his or her previous contract;
5.2. the player is transferred to another club for a fee agreed between both clubs;
5.3. the player acquires amateur status upon signing for the new club;
5.4. the former club terminates the player’s contract without just cause; or
5.5. the former club does not offer the player a contract at least thirty (30) days before the expiry of his or her current contract and such offer must be of at least an equivalent value to the player’s then current contract.
6. When a player registers as a professional for the first time, the club with which he or she is registered shall be responsible for paying training compensation within thirty (30) days of registration to every club at which the player has previously been registered (in accordance with the player’s career history which shall be solely based upon the FAW’s Central Registrations Database) and that has contributed to his or her training starting from the season of his or her 12th birthday.
7. In the case of a subsequent transfer under paragraph 4 above, the club with which the player is registered shall be responsible for paying training compensation to the former (transferring) club within thirty (30) days of registration provided the former club has contributed to his or her training before they reach the age of 21.
8. The training compensation payable under these Regulations shall be calculated as follows:-
8.1. there shall be three (3) categories of clubs and payments:-
8.1.1. Category 1: £2,500 per season (Cardiff City FC, Swansea City AFC) (25% of the set FIFA Training Compensation);
8.1.2. Category 2: £625 per season (Wrexham AFC, Newport County AFC and all clubs with a FAW recognised academy at U12, U14 & U16 level) (25% of Category 1); and
8.1.3. Category 3: £156 per season (all other clubs under the jurisdiction of the FAW except that no training compensation shall be payable in respect of a “Junior” player to a Category 3 club for any season in which the club did not hold “Standard Level” accreditation under the FAW’s Club Accreditation Scheme) (25% of Category 2).
8.2. the training compensation payable to the former club(s) shall be calculated by multiplying the number of whole seasons (commencing 1st August each year) the former club trained the player by the sum of the Category of the said two (2) clubs divided by two (2) (rounded up to the nearest pound, if applicable). In such calculation, the relevant Category of each club will be their Category at the time the player signs the contract. For example, a player is registered at a Category 2 club for five (5) full seasons between the ages of 12 and 16. The player signs a first professional contract for a Category 1 club. The training club is still a Category 2 club at the time the player signs.
The sum will be: (£2,500 + £625) divided by two (2) = £1,563.
The Category 1 club must pay the Category 2 club compensation of:
Five (5) complete seasons x £1,563 = £7,815.
8.3. it shall be the responsibility of the former club (claiming compensation) to calculate the amount of training compensation due and to inform the paying (signing) club. The former club shall provide all information and evidence reasonably necessary to support its claim. Such claim must be lodged within eighteen (18) months of the player signing with the paying club. Time shall be of the essence in this respect.
9. In the case of a dispute over whether training compensation is payable under these Regulations, or the amount of training compensation payable to any club, the dispute shall be submitted to the FAW Disciplinary Panel for resolution in accordance with the FAW Rules.
10. These Regulations are subject to review on an annual basis, although such review need not result in any change to these Regulations.