The Long Service Award was instituted in August 1979. It was designed to reward those individuals who had served clubs, leagues or Area Associations for forty years without being further recognised.
The criteria for the award are as follows:-
1. Must have completed forty years-service in football administration inside Wales. (i.e. membership of an English league would not count.)
2. The period must have been as an officer, secretary, committee member and/or Member of a league Committee and/or Area Association Council.
3. Service with a club as a player shall not count.
4. The forty years need not be unbroken, but simply total actual years of membership.
5. The nominee must not have served at any time as a member of the Council of the Football Association of Wales.
6. The nomination shall be made by the Area Association which shall vet each application for accuracy.
7. The nominee must be alive at the time that his/her nomination is approved by the FAW Council.